☰ Menu

Phone 04 8857 1866 or 07 4728 8586

Parker

.
Parker's Electrical NQ is currently CLOSED For emergencies give us a call on:- 0488571 866 or 07 4728 8586
×

ABOUT PARKER'S ELECTRICAL NQ

×
You can Contact us by phone 0488571866 or by filling out this form.
Warning to SEO and content writers our server filters out all of these type of emails so you will be wasting your time as we do not need or want this service.

We will be CLOSED on Wednesday the 25th of April for Anzac Day

Open Times are Monday to Friday 7:00am to 5:00pm except public holidays.

 



Ceiling Safety | Parker's Electrical NQ

     One of the most dangers places in your home for electricity is the ceiling, before entering the ceiling you must turn off all power to the house, even then a lot of home have the power coming in on overhead lines that then travel through the roof space to your switchboard, and on rear accessions these wires can be damage and if you come in contact with them or conductive part that has come in contact with them they will kill. So with this in mind the best option is turn all power off including the mains but as the mains often can not be turned off there are some precautions you can take. I would recommend employing a electrician to conduct some test for you, The first of these test should be to investigate before entering the ceiling, the way to do this is to first turn off the main switch's in the switchboard to remove all power from sub circuits, then to open the man hole and with a torch have a good look around without climbing in, see if you can see the mains and where they run, if you can see all of the mains and they look fine then see if the studs are timber or steal, if they are steal i would recommend  at least testing with a test pen, at best with a multimeter all electrician's should know how to do this. Even when all these test have be completed  there are no guarantee that there is 0 chance of electric shock as a cable just being moved can change this by rubbing through.
    We are going to share some stories about electrical accidents in the roof .
A 25 year old Sunshine coast man suffered a fatal electric shock while working in the roof space of a Victoria Point residential boarding facility. The man came in contact with a metal structure that hade came in contact with a live conductor of the lighting circuit which was not on a safety switch.

From The Electrical Safety Office

Ceiling spaces can pose serious electrical safety risks to homeowners and tradespeople. Any person entering ceiling spaces needs to take precautions to minimise the risk associated with electrical cables and equipment and to let someone know you're entering the ceiling.

TURN THE POWER OFF

Before entering any ceiling space, turn the power off at the main switchboard and take steps to tape it or label it to stop it being inadvertently turned back on by another person while you're working in the ceiling. Some electrical equipment such as hot water systems or stoves may have a separate switch. The safest approach is to turn off all the switches and circuit breakers at the main switchboard. Even with the power off, avoid contact with electrical cables and equipment as some cables, such as consumer service lines, may still be live.

Use cordless tools and torches

The use of torches and cordless power tools will avoid the need for power when in the ceiling space. If power is required, then turn off all circuits except the circuit supplying the socket outlet you plan to use, but make sure the circuit is protected by a safety switch. Test the safety switch before you enter the ceiling.

Other potential hazards to acknowledge

Solar PV systems have DC supply cables which may be live during daylight hours.
Damaged electrical cables or equipment arrange will need repair by a licensed electrical contractor.
Check that insulation material is not covering any electrical fittings or equipment, especially down lights.
Other hazards may also need to be addressed, such as, excessive heat, confined spaces, dangerous vermin, sharp objects or asbestos containing materials.
View the Stay safer up there, switch off down here campaign films.

Venturing into your ceiling space with the power on puts you at serious risk of electric shock, or worse. If you plan to go into a ceiling space, turn off all main power switches at the switchboard first. Watch and share the Stay safer up there, switch off down here advert – a simple reminder could save a life.


    

niyWARNING
ALL ELECTRICAL WORK MUST BE CARRIED OUT BY A QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN  
Electrical Licence Holder Search Queensland

OFFICE LOCATION
43 Canara St
Cranbrook QLD
4814
Australia
location / Address

You are page visitor No 322 hits and site visitor No 38384 hits